Day 365: I Didn't Just Quit Drinking—I Found My Life
This morning, before the sun had fully come up, I heard the little noises coming from my son's bassinet. I smiled before I even opened my eyes.
I reached over, picked him up, and held him against my chest while the house was still quiet. His tiny fingers wrapped around mine, and for a few moments, the world stood still.
As I sat there holding him, I realized something.
Today marks 365 days since I had my last drink.
One year.
It's strange how a single date can carry so much weight.
A year ago, I couldn't picture this moment. Not because I didn't want a life like this—I just didn't believe I deserved one.
For years, alcohol had become part of who I thought I was.
It wasn't just something I did. It became how I celebrated, how I coped, how I relaxed, how I avoided difficult conversations, how I quieted my anxiety, and how I escaped from myself.
At first, my drinking looked like everyone else's.
Weekend drinks slowly became weeknight drinks. One drink became several. Several became blackouts. Eventually, waking up and trying to piece together the night before became normal.
I became really good at pretending everything was okay.
Most people had no idea how much I was struggling. I still smiled. I still showed up. I still made people laugh.
But inside, I was exhausted.
I carried shame I didn't know how to talk about. Every promise I made to myself that I'd "drink less next time" eventually became another broken promise. Every Monday started with good intentions, and somehow every weekend ended the same way.
I spent years wondering why I couldn't control something that seemed so easy for everyone else.
Eventually, I realized the truth.
Alcohol wasn't my biggest problem.
The way I felt about myself was.
Alcohol was simply the way I tried to silence it.
There are things about the woman I used to be that still make me emotional. Not because I hate who she was, but because I understand her now.
She wasn't weak.
She wasn't lazy.
She wasn't broken.
She was hurting.
She was carrying more than she knew how to carry, and she was searching for peace in places that could never truly give it to her.
If I could sit across from that version of myself today, I wouldn't judge her. I wouldn't shame her or tell her everything she did wrong.
I'd simply reach across the table, take her hand, and say:
"Hang on. You're so much closer than you think."
Life has a way of changing when you least expect it.
There was a season where everything felt uncertain. Plans changed. The future didn't look the way I thought it would. There were moments when I questioned myself, wondered where I was headed, and worried about whether I was capable of creating the life I dreamed of.
Looking back now, I can honestly say that uncertainty became one of the greatest gifts I've ever received.
Because when life strips away what you thought you needed, it gives you the opportunity to discover what actually matters.
Sometimes the hardest seasons don't arrive to punish us. Sometimes they arrive to make room for something better.
At the time, I couldn't see that.
Now I can.
Somewhere in the middle of all that uncertainty, I had to make a decision.
It wasn't dramatic. There wasn't some movie moment. No inspirational speech. No lightning bolt. No magical turning point.
Just a quiet realization that I couldn't keep living the way I had been living.
I was tired of apologizing. Tired of wondering what I had said the night before. Tired of disappointing myself. Tired of letting alcohol make decisions my sober self would never make.
Most of all, I was tired of believing that this was simply who I was.
So I made one decision:
Just don't drink today.
That was it.
I didn't promise myself forever because forever felt impossible.
I promised myself today.
Tomorrow could worry about itself.
When tomorrow came, I made the same decision again.
Then again.
Then again.
One ordinary day at a time.
It didn't feel extraordinary while it was happening.
There weren't fireworks.
There weren't standing ovations.
Most days felt incredibly ordinary.
Looking back now, I realize something beautiful.
Extraordinary lives are usually built through ordinary decisions repeated over and over again.
People often ask when everything changed. They expect me to point to one defining moment, one life-changing event.
But that's not how healing happened for me.
Healing happened quietly.
It happened on ordinary Tuesday mornings.
On Friday nights when I chose to stay home.
On weekends when I learned how to sit with discomfort instead of reaching for a drink.
It happened every time I chose to feel an emotion instead of numbing it.
Little by little, the woman I had spent years trying to escape slowly became someone I actually wanted to know.
I didn't realize it then, but I was making room for the greatest year of my life.
I had no idea that before this year was over, I would become a mother.
I had no idea I would discover a strength I never knew I had.
I had no idea I would begin building businesses that reflected who I truly am.
I had no idea that choosing sobriety would allow me to be fully present for the moments that matter most.
At the time, all I knew was that I was learning how to live one day at a time.
And somehow, that was enough.
Learning to live.
One of the biggest lies I believed about alcohol was that I needed it to get through life.
I thought it helped me handle stress. I thought it made celebrations more fun. I thought it took away my anxiety.
What I didn't realize was that it was also taking away my ability to truly experience life.
When I got sober, I didn't suddenly become fearless.
In fact, at first everything felt louder. Every emotion, every fear, every disappointment, and every victory seemed amplified because, for the first time in years, I wasn't numbing anything.
I had to learn how to feel again.
I had to learn that anxiety wouldn't last forever, that sadness didn't need to be fixed immediately, that loneliness wasn't going to break me, that boredom wasn't an emergency, and that happiness didn't have to be earned with a drink.
It sounds simple.
It wasn't.
There were nights I wanted to escape, days I questioned whether sobriety was worth it, and moments when I wondered if life would always feel this uncomfortable.
Nobody really talks about that part.
Sobriety isn't just learning to stop drinking.
It's learning to meet yourself for the very first time.
And sometimes, that's terrifying.
But little by little, something began to change.
I started trusting myself.
Not all at once, but one promise at a time.
Every sober day was another promise I kept to myself, and eventually I realized something I had never felt before.
I could depend on me.
Then life surprised me in the most beautiful way imaginable.
I found out I was pregnant.
I still remember the flood of emotions that came over me—joy, excitement, disbelief, gratitude, and fear.
So much fear.
Was I ready? Would I be a good mom? Could I really give another human being everything he deserved?
For the first time, those questions didn't send me searching for an escape.
I sat with them.
I prayed.
I trusted that somehow I'd figure it out.
Looking back now, I can't imagine walking through pregnancy the way I used to live.
I remember every appointment, every ultrasound, every tiny kick, and every heartbeat because I was there for all of it.
Present.
Clear.
Grateful.
Pregnancy wasn't easy.
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which meant blood sugar checks, insulin, doctor appointments, and constant questions about whether I was doing enough for my little boy.
It felt like every week brought another challenge to navigate.
And still, I stayed sober.
Not because I felt strong every single day, but because I knew alcohol had never made anything easier.
It only postponed the pain.
I wanted to be fully present for the life growing inside of me.
Then came the day our son decided to enter the world.
Like so many parents, I had imagined what his birth would look like. I pictured holding him, taking him home, and beginning our little family's new chapter.
Life had other plans.
His birth was difficult, and there were moments that happened so quickly I barely had time to process them. Moments no parent ever hopes to experience.
Instead of bringing our baby home right away, we spent his first eleven days in the hospital.
Those were some of the hardest days of my life.
No parent prepares for that.
You spend months dreaming about bringing your baby home. Instead, you're learning hospital routines, watching monitors, waiting for updates, and trying to stay hopeful while your heart feels like it's breaking.
I remember sitting beside him wishing I could take every uncomfortable moment away from him.
I remember praying more than I ever had before.
I remember celebrating the smallest victories—a better feeding, a good report, a peaceful night's sleep.
Things most people never have to think twice about became everything to us.
Through every single moment, I was sober.
There wasn't a single morning I woke up with regret, and there wasn't a single moment I wasn't fully present for my son.
Looking back now, I realize sobriety gave me something I didn't even know I'd need.
It gave my son all of me.
When we finally brought him home, life didn't suddenly become easy.
Newborns don't come with instruction manuals.
There were sleepless nights, bottle feedings, and what felt like an endless list of questions. Every little sound made me wonder if he was okay, and every milestone became something worth celebrating.
Sometimes I laugh because I realize how different my worries have become.
A year earlier, I worried about whether I had embarrassed myself the night before.
Now I was Googling, "Is this normal for a one-month-old?"
I was learning how to soothe him, learning his cries, discovering his little personality, and celebrating every smile that appeared.
The worries were still there.
But they were worries rooted in love.
Not shame.
One morning, while holding him, I had a realization that completely stopped me.
If I were still drinking, how many moments like this would I have missed?
Would I have rushed through the mornings? Would I have been impatient? Distracted? Would I have reached for my phone instead of soaking in every tiny detail?
I don't know.
And honestly, I'm grateful I never have to find out.
Instead, I get to watch him change every single day.
I notice the way he studies my face, follows me with his eyes, smiles a little bigger than he did yesterday, and slowly turns little sounds into conversations.
People always tell you babies grow fast.
They're right.
Too fast.
Some mornings I wish I could freeze time, not because I don't want him to grow, but because I never want to forget these moments.
Sobriety has given me the greatest gift I could ever ask for.
Presence.
Not perfect presence.
Not distracted presence.
Real presence.
The kind where I know these memories won't disappear into a fog.
I'll remember them.
I'll carry them with me forever.
And someday, when my son is old enough to ask about my story, I'll be able to tell him the truth.
Not just that I stopped drinking.
But that before he ever knew my name, he gave me another reason to keep choosing the woman I wanted to become.
By the time he entered this world, sobriety wasn't something I was surviving anymore.
It had quietly become the foundation we were building our family's life upon.
I just didn't realize that the biggest transformation was still ahead of me.
The Life I Never Thought I'd Have
When people think about sobriety, they often imagine someone standing at the finish line.
One year. Two years. Five years.
As if there's some magical point where everything suddenly becomes easy.
I've learned that isn't how it works.
Life didn't stop being life because I quit drinking.
Unexpected things still happen. Bills still show up. Plans still change. There are still moments that test me.
The difference is that today, I face them.
I don't run from them anymore.
If you had asked me a year ago what I thought my future looked like, I probably would have told you I had no idea.
Back then, that answer would've come from fear.
Today, if you ask me the same question, my answer is still, "I don't know."
But now it comes from excitement.
That's one of the biggest transformations sobriety has given me.
I don't need to know every step anymore.
I trust that I'll figure it out.
One day at a time.
Financially, life isn't perfect.
There have been months where I wondered how everything was going to come together. Moments when I questioned whether starting my own businesses was the right decision. Times when I hit "send" on proposals and waited, hoping someone would say yes.
Every new client became another reminder that maybe—just maybe—I could build something of my own.
Not just a business.
A life.
Today I'm growing businesses that reflect who I am. I'm helping people tell their stories through resumes, creating brands that help small businesses dream bigger, and continuing to design, write, build, and learn.
Every project reminds me that it's never too late to begin again.
People sometimes apologize when they say they're "starting over."
I don't anymore.
I've realized starting over isn't failure.
Sometimes it's the greatest gift life can give you because this time, you get to build with wisdom you didn't have before.
One of the greatest blessings this season has given me wasn't something I recognized right away.
It was time.
Time I never would've asked for, but time that has become priceless.
Every morning I wake up with my little family. Instead of rushing out the door, I get to begin my day with the two people I love most.
I get to hear Andrew wake up.
I get to hold him before the world gets busy.
I get to feed him, make him laugh, and watch him discover something new almost every single day.
Sometimes I simply sit and watch him.
Not because he's doing anything extraordinary.
Because he won't be this little forever.
There will come a day when he won't need me to carry him. He won't fall asleep on my chest. He won't wrap his tiny fingers around mine.
One day he'll run ahead instead of reaching for my hand.
One day he'll have dreams of his own to chase.
And I hope when that day comes, he'll know that his mom chased hers too.
Not perfectly.
Not fearlessly.
Just faithfully.
One day at a time.
People sometimes ask me what the biggest gift of sobriety has been.
It's hard to answer because there isn't just one.
It's waking up without regret.
It's remembering every conversation.
It's laughing until my stomach hurts and knowing the joy is real.
It's knowing the people I love get the real version of me—not the version alcohol created.
It's being able to trust myself.
For so many years, I didn't.
I was constantly breaking promises to myself.
"I'll only have one."
"I won't drink tonight."
"This weekend will be different."
Every broken promise slowly chipped away at my confidence.
Today, every sober day rebuilds it.
I trust myself because I've watched myself do hard things.
Not once.
Three hundred and sixty-five times.
There are still hard days.
I don't want anyone reading this to think sobriety erased every struggle.
It didn't.
I still get overwhelmed.
I still have moments where I doubt myself.
I still cry.
I still worry.
The difference is that I no longer believe I have to escape those feelings.
I've learned something I wish someone had told me years ago.
Feelings are visitors.
They come.
They stay for a while.
And eventually...
They leave.
You don't have to destroy your life trying to outrun them.
Sometimes I think about the woman I was a year ago.
I don't look back at her with shame anymore.
I look back at her with compassion.
She was doing the best she could with the tools she had.
She didn't know another way.
If I could say anything to her today, it would be this:
"You're going to be okay.
Actually... you're going to be more than okay.
One day you'll wake up before sunrise holding your son.
You'll kiss the man you love.
You'll build businesses that make you proud.
You'll laugh more than you cry.
You'll discover that peace isn't something you find.
It's something you choose.
One day at a time."
Today, I don't measure my life by the things I've accumulated.
I measure it differently.
By quiet mornings.
By family dinners.
By tiny baby smiles.
By honest conversations.
By meaningful work.
By the peace I feel when I lay my head on my pillow at night.
Success used to mean having the right job, the right paycheck, and the right title.
Today, success feels completely different.
Success is becoming someone I respect.
Someone my son can look up to.
Someone who keeps showing up, even when life is hard.
Someone who chooses courage over comfort, again and again.
One thing I've learned this year is that gratitude changes everything.
Not because it removes your problems.
Because it changes what you notice.
Today I notice the sunrise.
I notice the sound of my son's laugh.
I notice the way AJ looks at our little family.
I notice opportunities where I used to see obstacles.
I notice peace where I used to feel panic.
Sometimes I even catch myself smiling for no reason at all.
There have been moments this year when I've had to stop and think,
"Is this really my life?"
Not because it's perfect.
Because it's peaceful.
And there was a time when I would've given anything just to feel peace.
If you're reading this because you're struggling...
Because you're wondering if life can really get better...
Because you've convinced yourself you've gone too far...
Please hear me.
I know what it feels like to believe you're stuck.
I know what it feels like to wonder if this is just who you are.
I know what it feels like to wake up disappointed in yourself.
But I also know this.
Your story isn't over.
Not even close.
The life you're dreaming about isn't built in one giant leap.
It's built the same way mine was.
One decision.
One morning.
One conversation.
One promise to yourself.
One day at a time.
You don't have to have it all figured out.
You don't have to know what Year Two looks like.
You just have to believe you're worthy of a life you don't need to escape from.
Because you are.
I promise you...
You are.
Today is Day 365.
This isn't the end of my journey.
It's the beginning of a new chapter.
I don't know exactly where this road will lead.
Maybe my businesses will grow beyond anything I've imagined.
Maybe there will be challenges that stretch me in ways I can't yet see.
Maybe there will be seasons of abundance and seasons of uncertainty.
Whatever comes next, I know this:
I'll meet it with clear eyes.
With an open heart.
And without a drink in my hand.
Because today I finally understand something that took me years to learn.
Alcohol never gave me freedom.
Sobriety did.
Looking back, I realize I wasn't leaving my life behind.
I was making room for the life I was meant to live.
So today, I celebrate one year sober.
Not because I've reached the finish line, but because 365 ordinary days ago I made one small decision that changed everything.
And if my story reaches even one person who feels hopeless today, I hope they'll believe this:
There is a life waiting for you that is more beautiful than you can imagine.
Keep going.
Choose today.
Then wake up tomorrow and choose it again.
One day you'll look around and realize you didn't just quit drinking.
You found your life.
And trust me...
It is worth every single day.
Happy Day 365.
Here's to Year Two.
Comments
Post a Comment