The Version of Me My Son Will Never Meet


The woman my son will know is not the woman who almost gave up.

One day, my son will ask me questions about my life.

He'll want to know what I was like before he was born.

He'll probably laugh at old pictures, ask about my first job, wonder if I was ever "cool," and maybe even ask if I ever got in trouble.

And when that day comes...

There is one version of me he'll never truly meet.

Not because I'll hide my story from him.

But because that woman no longer exists.

The Woman Before Healing

Before my son, I was surviving more than I was living.

I spent years carrying wounds I didn't know how to heal.

I smiled through pain.

I told everyone I was fine.

I became really good at pretending everything was okay while quietly falling apart inside.

I chased things that could never fill the emptiness.

I looked for validation in places that couldn't love me back.

I settled for less than I deserved because I didn't fully believe I deserved more.

Some days I was confident.

Other days I questioned my worth entirely.

I made mistakes.

Big ones.

Mistakes that cost me opportunities.

Mistakes that hurt people I loved.

Mistakes that forced me to face parts of myself I'd spent years avoiding.

If you've ever carried shame so heavy that it became part of your identity...

Then you know exactly what I mean.

Addiction Didn't Define Me—But It Changed Me

There was a season of my life when alcohol became my escape.

Not because life was easy.

Because it wasn't.

I wasn't trying to become someone else.

I was trying to stop feeling like myself.

For a little while, it worked.

Until it didn't...

Eventually, what started as an escape became another prison.

I lost pieces of myself along the way.

Confidence.

Peace.

Trust.

Purpose.

The woman staring back at me in the mirror became someone I barely recognized.

The hardest part wasn't disappointing other people.

It was disappointing myself.

Then Everything Changed

The day I found out I was pregnant, something shifted.

Not overnight.

Healing rarely happens that way.

But for the first time in a very long time...

I had someone worth becoming better for.

Yes, I wanted to change for myself.

But becoming his mother gave that desire roots.

It gave my healing a face.

A heartbeat.

A future.

Every decision suddenly mattered.

Every habit mattered.

Every thought mattered.

Not because I needed to be perfect.

But because someone would one day learn how to love themselves by watching how I loved myself.

That realization changed everything.

My Son Will Never Know That Version of Me

He won't remember the sleepless nights I spent crying.

He won't remember the anxiety.

The fear.

The shame.

The constant feeling that I wasn't enough.

He won't remember the woman who questioned whether she'd ever become who she dreamed of being.

He'll only know the version that kept going.

The one who chose healing over hiding.

Growth over comfort.

Peace over chaos.

He won't know the woman who used alcohol to numb her pain.

He'll know the mother who chooses presence instead.

He won't know the woman who doubted herself every day.

He'll know the one who encourages him to believe in himself.

He won't know the woman who thought she had ruined her future.

He'll grow up watching someone who proves every day that it's never too late to rewrite your story.

And honestly...

I'm grateful.

Breaking Generational Cycles

People often talk about breaking generational curses.

I think we should talk just as much about building generational blessings.

Because healing doesn't stop with us.

It echoes forward.

Every healthy boundary.

Every apology.

Every sober day.

Every therapy session.

Every hard conversation.

Every time we choose peace instead of reacting from pain...

We're creating a different future for our children.

My son may never realize how many battles ended before they ever reached him.

And that's exactly the point.

Children shouldn't have to carry wars they didn't start.

Motherhood Didn't Save Me

Let's be honest about something.

Motherhood didn't magically fix every broken part of me.

It didn't erase my past.

It didn't silence every insecurity.

I still have hard days.

I still battle old thoughts.

I still have moments where I have to remind myself how far I've come instead of how far I have left to go.

Healing isn't a destination.

It's a daily decision.

Motherhood didn't save me.

But it gave me another reason to keep saving myself.

And there is a difference.

The Legacy I Hope to Leave

When my son thinks about his childhood, I don't want perfection to be what he remembers.

I want consistency.

I want safety.

I want laughter.

I want hugs that last longer than necessary.

I want Saturday morning pancakes.

Walks outside.

Late-night talks.

I want him to know he can come to me with anything.

I want him to grow up knowing that home isn't just a place.

It's a feeling.

A feeling I spent years searching for.

A feeling I now get to create.

That's the legacy I care about.

Not money.

Not status.

Not achievements.

Love.

Peace.

Presence.

To Anyone Who Thinks It's Too Late

Maybe you're reading this while sitting in your own mess.

Maybe you've made choices you regret.

Maybe you're carrying shame so quietly that no one around you even knows it's there.

I want you to hear this.

Your worst chapter does not get the final word.

You are allowed to become someone your past wouldn't recognize.

You are allowed to heal.

You are allowed to outgrow the life that almost broke you.

You are allowed to forgive yourself.

The people who meet you tomorrow don't have to meet the version of you that existed years ago.

Growth is one of the most beautiful forms of courage.

Keep choosing it.

The Greatest Gift I'll Ever Give My Son

People ask parents what they want to leave behind for their children.

Some say money.

Some say wisdom.

Some say memories.

For me...

The greatest gift I can give my son is becoming someone he never has to recover from.

Read that again.

I don't want him spending his adulthood healing from wounds I refused to heal.

I want him to inherit emotional safety instead of emotional survival.

I want him to know what healthy love looks like because he lived it.

I want him to see accountability.

Kindness.

Grace.

Strength.

Not because I'm perfect.

But because I'm willing to keep growing.

The Version of Me He'll Know

He'll know the woman who laughs louder.

Who wakes up grateful.

Who chooses clarity over escape.

Who believes that second chances are real because she became one.

He'll know a mother who shows up.

Who apologizes when she's wrong.

Who celebrates his wins.

Who protects his heart.

Who reminds him every day that he is deeply loved.

He'll know a woman who fought battles he'll never have to fight.

And if I do this right...

He may never fully understand everything it took to become her.

That's okay.

Because that means the healing worked.

Final Thoughts

If you're carrying guilt over who you used to be, remember this:

Your children don't need a flawless parent.

They need a healing one.

The version of you that made mistakes doesn't have to disappear—it can become the foundation for someone stronger, wiser, and more compassionate.

Maybe that's what redemption really looks like.

Not pretending the past never happened.

But becoming someone your future family gets to thank for it.

And if my son ever asks who I was before he was born...

I'll tell him the truth.

"I wasn't always this woman.

But I never stopped fighting to become her."

Because the version of me my son will never meet...

Is the reason he'll get to meet the best version of me. 🌹⛓💥

Comments